Support for Learning
The Support for Learning Department currently has 5 members of staff in the department. Ms Whaley (PT), Mrs Cooke, Miss Parker and Mrs Warburton.
The Support for Learning Department at Galashiels Academy aims to support students with a wide range of needs in a mainstream stetting. The SFL department works together with SMT and Pupil Support (pastoral staff), subject teachers, parents and other relevant bodies to ensure that all pupils are able to access a broad, balanced, relevant curriculum.
A young person may require input from Support for Learning for to address any barriers to their learning which may include:
- Specific learning difficulties such as literacy difficulties, dyslexia and dyscalculia.
- Social or emotional difficulties.
- Behaviour difficulties.
- Being a gifted pupil.
- Physical, sensory or communication issues.
- Being a young carer.
- Speaking English as an Additional Language.
Support staff including Support for Learning Teachers and Additional Needs Assistants work in classrooms alongside subject teachers so that the learning needs of all individuals can be met. Support staff may be responsible for supporting individual students, small groups, or the whole class. Support for Learning Teachers also give specialised teaching and support to small groups of pupils.
The range of support provided by the Support for Learning Department includes:
- Raising awareness and promote an understanding of the role of Support for Learning in meeting the needs of all pupils.
- Assisting faculties in the evaluation and suitability of courses.
- Advising staff on issues relating to the needs of pupils.
- Collating and making information available to staff to support pupils’ needs and offering CPD to staff.
- Supporting teaching and learning within Faculties by means of cooperative teaching.
- Offering focused support to individual pupils/small groups as necessary.
- Offering Study Support to targeted pupils as necessary.
- Offering individual programmes to targeted pupils including Skills for School, Enhanced Curriculum Group, Paired Reading and Dyslexia group.